0.05 NET carbs per serving
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot)
- pepper, to taste, if desired (yes, I know this is weird)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz) bacon drippings, liquidifed and cooled
- 3/4 c (6 fl oz) light olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- For the immersion blender:
- Crack the egg directly into your blender cup, then add the mustard powder, sea salt, hot sauce, pepper (if desired), and vinegar.
- Pour the oil directly over the egg and seasonings then top it off with the cooled liquid bacon drippings.
- Put the blender “stick” into the cup, all the way down at the bottom.
- Turn it on and hold it at the bottom of the cup until you see the white of the emulsion forming and starting to come towards the surface.
- Very slowly pull upwards on the blender “stick” to incorporate the rest of the oil.
- Once the oil is all incorporated into the mayo, transfer the mayo to a mason jar, put the lid on, and let it stand on the counter for 24-72 hours before refrigerating.
- For the food processor:
- Put the egg and all the seasonings and vinegar into the food processor, and put the lid on.
- Mix the cooled bacon drippings and the oil into a container with a pourable spout. A liquid measuring cup is good for this.
- Turn the food processor on and let it run a few seconds, then very slowly start to drizzle the oil into the food processor through the spout in a steady, but very slow and thin stream. You may need to stop and start the pouring a few times to allow the food processor to catch up. That’s OK.
- Once all the oil is in the processor and it’s all incorporated into the emulsion, turn it off and transfer the mayo to a mason jar. Put the lid on and let it stand on the counter for 24-48 hours before refrigerating.
Feel free to swap out the light olive oil for avocado oil, coconut oil, regular olive oil, or even MCT oil.
To make regular mayo: Simply replace the 1/4 c bacon drippings with more light olive oil, or an oil of your choosing.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 128.1
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.05 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.4 g