- 1/2 c (4 fl oz/ 118 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp (1/4 oz/ 7 g) salted butter
- 2 tbsp Swerve Brown, or brown sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp gelatin powder, plain (Knox brand is fine)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop (approx. 0.2 oz/ 5 g) Salted Caramel Ballistic Keto MCT Oil Powder
To make the sauce:
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium.
- Add the butter to melt, and the Swerve Brown, and whisk well.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium, continuing to whisk well.
- Once at a simmer, begin sprinkling in the gelatin powder while whisking vigorously to dissolve into the mixture. It may bubble up a little, and that’s ok.
- Continue to whisk and cook over medium until it thickens and turns a light golden brown. Because it will continue to cook a little from the residual heat once you pull it off the burner, look for it to be a good shade or two lighter than what you think of as typical for caramel sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Begin gradually sprinkling in the Ballistic powder, whisking very well to dissolve completely into the mixture.
- Once it’s completely smooth, cool slightly and serve as desired, or you may store it in a Mason jar in the refrigerator (see next set of instructions on reconstituting the sauce after refrigeration).
To reheat after refrigeration:
- Remove the lid from your jar and place the jar into the microwave.
- Heat on half power at 15 second intervals until it begins to liquefy.
- Let stand to cool 2-3 minutes.
- Once it’s cooled and you can touch it without burning yourself, whisk it very vigorously in the jar with the tines of a fork. When you start whisking, it may look like it has separated a little. That’s ok. With a little whisking it should come back together as a smooth sauce as it cools.
- When it’s smooth, use as desired.
Per tbsp.: 83 cal, 0.9 G protein, 8.6 g fat, 4.6 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 4 g sugar alcohol, 0.6 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Keywords: Ballistic keto, caramel, caramel sauce, salted caramel, desserts