Feel free to use sugar free dark or milk chocolate, per your own tastes. The almonds are also optional. This recipe is one that largely works best in volume ratios, so that is the way it is written.
- 1 c coconut butter (aka, coconut manna), unsweetened
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) heavy cream (may also use canned coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp (1 oz/ 28 g) salted butter (may also use coconut oil)
- 1/4 c Swerve Confectioner’s (or your favorite powdered sweetener)
- heavy pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 24 raw, unsalted almonds (optional)
- 4 oz (113 g) sugar free chocolate, chopped or in chips (I used Lily’s baking chips)
- 1 tbsp lard, coconut oil, or unsalted butter
- Arrange 24 silicone mini-muffin liners or other similar silicone candy molds on a tray.
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut butter, butter, heavy cream, sea salt, and powdered sweetener on medium, stirring frequently, until the coconut butter is just melted and the mixture is combined, then immediately remove from the heat. This will only take two or three minutes. Do not overheat! If you heat it too long, the coconut oil in the coconut butter will separate and you will have to cool the whole thing to re-incorporate it back into the mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and coconut flakes.
- Divide the filling evenly between the liners, then press 1 almond into the center of each. With a spoon or your fingers, press the filling around the almond so it is completely covered in filling.
- Freeze the candies for 30 minutes, or until completely solid.
- In small bowl, melt the chocolate and lard (or coconut oil or butter) together in the microwave on half power, in 15 second increments, stirring well in between each increment.
- When the chocolate is melted and smooth and shiny, dip each candy into the chocolate to coat, and remove with two forks. Be sure to let any excess chocolate drip through the tines back into the bowl.
- Place each chocolate-covered candy on a tray lined with parchment. Freeze the coated candies 20 minutes, or until completely set.
- Store candies in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Per 1 dark chocolate-covered almond candy: 135 cal, 1.5 G protein, 12.5 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.1 g fiber, 3.5 g sugar alcohol, 1.4 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1 candy
Keywords: Almond joy, mounds, keto chocolate, truffles, candy