As y'all already know, I'm a busy mama! I simply don't have time to cook absolutely everything, and so sometimes I take shortcuts.
Spaghetti sauce is one of those things that tend to be carby outside of a few brands, but can also be really pricy and super time-consuming if you try to make it from scratch. That's why I love that some brands are now going out of their way to give us a clean alternative by eliminating the sugar and other garbage that would traditionally run up the carb count on their red sauces. It makes my life significantly easier to be able to just grab a jar of sauce, dump, and add a few bits and bobbles to jazz it up a little. The kids, who loved some spaghetti pre-keto, also appreciate being able to eat one of their old favorites.
Notes: I used Rao's marinara here, but feel free to use whatever red pasta sauce you prefer. You're looking for one that's in the ballpark of 4 g carbs per 1/2 c serving, and has no added sugars or starches. Now, as I've mentioned before, my family does not like mushy veg, so I throw my zoodles in at the last minutes, more to heat through and absorb some of the flavor of the sauce. But if you like your zoodles softer, feel free to add them to the simmering sauce earlier.Print
6.1 NET carbs per serving
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb (16 oz) ground sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 jar Rao’s Marinara sauce (or similar, should be approx 4 carbs per 1/2 c serving)
- 1/4 c water
- 14 oz fresh “zoodles” (spiralized zucchini noodles)
- In a large saucepan, heat avocado oil over medium-high.
- Add sausage to saucepan and brown it, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once sausage is completely browned, reduce heat to medium, add garlic to the pot and stir until fragrant, approx. 30 seconds.
- Stir in seasonings and pour in marinara sauce.
- Pour water into the sauce jar, put the lid on and shake. Pour the saucy liquid into the pot and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook ten minutes.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, maybe 3-5 minutes before completion, stir in the zoodles to heat through.
- Pull off the heat and serve hot, topped with grated Parmesan cheese or your favorite spaghetti toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/5 recipe
- Calories: 373
- Fat: 30.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 19.9 g