This recipe was inspired by a passing comment made by my sister-in-law at Thanksgiving (love you, Megs!). We'd swung by their house to visit later in the evening (post our keto feast), and they were serving dessert. She said something along the lines of how there was little that was as enjoyable as a good slice of apple pie, and at that moment I knew I had to make one.
Now, I've made ketofied versions of apple crumble and sort-of pie before. There are some very good recipes out there, too. What separates this pie from the pack is the crust. I used my Salted Caramel Pie Crust recipe to not only make the bottom, but to also do some very pretty- and very traditional- lattice work on top. It really took this dessert to the next level.
Obviously there is no apple on keto, so I went the traditional substitute route and used peeled and seeded zucchini. If you'd like to try it with an equal amount of chayote squash (aka, mirliton) feel free. The carb count, gram for gram, between zucchini and chayote is very similar (chayote has one more total gram carbs per every 100 grams), so it shouldn't have any real appreciable effect on that macronutrient.
If you're like me (#teamlazy) and are maybe inclined to skip the fancy-pants lattice topping, that's OK! I would split the dough in half instead of thirds, and use one half for the bottom crust, then roll out the other half to completely cover the top. Brush with egg wash, and cover with a pie shield, as directed, and don't forget to put a few slits in the top for steam to escape. Make it your own, folks!
Notes: I hate the kind of recipe posts that have fifty-gazillion words and pictures to scroll through before you ever get to the dang recipe! However, because some folks may not be familiar with how this kind of thing is made or assembled (especially the lattice part), I took a few pictures along the way so you could get a good visual as to what you're looking for. They are as follows:
The finished product
- Serves: 10 slices
- Serving size: 1/10 of pie
- Calories: 216.7
- Fat: 18.1 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 20.1 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- One recipe Salted Caramel Pie Crust, separated as directed for lattice
- 16 oz zucchini, peeled, seeded, and sliced into apple shaped chunks (weighed after prepping)
- 4 oz granulated Swerve (or erythritol)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp apple extract (optional, but boosts apple flavor)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- generous pinch salt
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pie crust and par-bake bottom for 7 minutes. Roll out remaining dough for lattice. Set par-baked pie crust and rolled out dough for lattice aside.
- Prepare filling by melting butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add prepped zucchini, Swerve, spices, lemon juice, cream of tartar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and syrupy looking and zucchini has begin to soften.
- Pull off the heat and stir in apple extract. Fill par-baked pie crust.
- Prepare egg wash.
- Using a sharp pizza cutter, cut 8-10, 1" long strips. Lattice pie top and brush with egg wash. Cover the pie edges with a pie shield and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and lattice work is golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand to cool on a baking rack.
- Serve as desired.