Easter is this Sunday, and so in this week's quarantine recipe, I'm gonna tell you fine folks how I make my special glazed holiday ham. This low carb, keto-friendly glaze recipe knocked my picky son's socks off, and he requests I make it about once a month. I must admit, it's tasty enough that I don't mind.
Notes: The ingredients in this recipe are all things I already have on hand in my house, right this minute, but for those who don't, they're not particularly hard to find. The one ingredient that I use that y'all might not be able to easily source is pineapple extract, which is why I also list orange extract (easily acquired in the grocery store spice aisle) as an alternative. It's delicious both ways, but if you prefer pineapple, feel free to order it online. I get mine from Olive Nation.
The only other thing of note is that I list the macros for the entire glaze recipe. I did that because macros per serving on this is going to depend on how big your ham is and how many servings you get out of it. Another factor is that some of the glaze may not be consumed (a little will melt into your pan drippings), so even assuming you ate the whole ham by yourself you still aren't likely to eat all the glaze. The nutshell is that the macros here are a little looser than they might be in other applications. To get yours, simply divide the total for the entire recipe by the number of servings you ended up with.
Your macros will depend upon the size of your ham and number of servings. I listed the macros for the entire glaze recipe, assuming all of it is consumed.
- 2 c (16 fl oz/ 473 ml) water
- 2 tsp pineapple or orange extract
- 1/3 c (2.67 for oz/ 79 ml) bourbon
- 1/2 c (approx. 3.75 oz/ 106 g) Swerve Brown, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 4+ lb, bone-in, fully cooked ham
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and prepare a roasting pan.
- Score the outside of your ham into 1″ diamonds by cutting vertical lines into the skin about 1″ apart, then cutting lines across the cuts diagonally, again about 1″ apart.
- In a measuring cup, combine the pineapple or orange extract with the water, then pour it into the bottom of your roasting pan.
- Place the ham on the rack of your roasting pan, scored bits up, then cover completely and tightly with foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 15-20 min per lb, basting well every 20 min or so with the pan juices, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center reaches 145 degrees F.
- Make the glaze while the ham is baking by combining all the remaining ingredients and stirring together well.
- In the last 20-30 minutes of bake time on the ham, remove the foil completely and brush all over with the glaze, then return to the oven to finish cooking through.
- Remove from the oven and baste again with the pan juices while resting, a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Carve as desired and serve warm.
Per entire glaze recipe: 174 cal, 0.1 g protein, 0.1 g fat, 107.7 g carbs, 0.9 g fiber, 106.3 g sugar alcohol, 0.5 g NET carbs
Your macronutrients will vary depending on the size of your ham and number of servings.
- Serving Size: Varies
Keywords: Glazed ham, Bourbon, brown sugar, easter