Minus fiber and 1 g sugar alcohol =
2.3 g NET carbs per tbsp
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1.5 oz (42 g) dried chile peppers (chile guajillo), cut small with kitchen shears, seeds included
- 1/2 small habanero pepper, diced fine (approx 1.5 g)
- 1 small, fresh chili pepper, red, fine dice (approx. 1 g)
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeded and finely diced (approx. 20 g)
- 64 g onion, finely diced
- 16 g almond flour (approx. 2 tbsp)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 can (approx. 5 oz total, or 142 g) Rotel, including the juice from the can
- 1 1/2 c (12 fl oz) chicken bone broth or stock, as desired
- 24 g (approx. 2 tbsp) Swerve brown
- 1 tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp five spice powder
- several turns fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 oz finely chopped 100% chocolate
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the dried chiles, diced peppers, onion, almond flour, and garlic.
- Cook over medium until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Rotel and 1/2 c (4 fl oz) of the chicken stock, and cook down at a simmer (over low or medium-low, as needed) for 30 minutes, adding the rest of the stock a little at a time while stirring, to keep the bottom from catching.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor, and then add the spices to the mixture. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Turn the motor on and let it run to purée the mixture, while gradually adding the chopped chocolate through the chute. Purée until completely smooth.
- Dress your dish with completed molé sauce, as desired OR transfer to a lidded container or a large mason jar, let stand to cool, then put the lid on and refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Heat gently over low before serving, if using out of the refrigerator.
You may use regular ground cinnamon, but the Ceylon cinnamon is better in this application, in my opinion, and it’s what I used.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 45.4
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4 (see Description for NET carbs)
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
Keywords: Molé sauce