It's officially cookie baking season, and every Friday up to Christmas I will be featuring a cookie or confection that will be perfect for a keto-style cookie bake. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled and don't miss out on these holiday goodies!
This week's recipe is a huge winner, y'all. Crumbly shortbread topped with a delicious caramel sauce, chopped nuts, and chocolate, Millionaire's Shortbread is a recipe that is quite beloved and for obvious reasons!
Now, usually this is made with a whole pile of bad ingredients: flour, sugar, "real" chocolate, and a whole pile of sweetened condensed milk that is cooked down until it becomes caramel. We ain't got time for all those carbs here, so I when I had my caramel revelation, it was easy to come up with a ketofied version of this awesome cookie bar that is so good your non-keto peeps won't be able to tell it's not a carby creation!
For the Shortbread Crust:
- 5 1/2 oz (156 g) super fine almond flour
- 4 oz (113 g) granulated Swerve, or equivalent
- 1 stick (4 oz/ 113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch sea salt
For the Caramel Layer:
- 2 batches Ballistic Caramel Sauce
- 5 oz (142 g) blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 9 oz (255 g) bag Lily’s baking chips, or equivalent
- 2 tbsp (1 oz/ 28 g) unsalted butter
To Make the Shortbread Layer:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a (roughly) 10″x15″ baking sheet with parchment. You want a pan that has sides, and you want the parchment to come up and above the sides all around, so the bars will be easy to pull right out once they’re set.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, Swerve, vanilla, sea salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum and stir to combine.
- Stir in the melted butter and beaten egg until the dough is all evenly moistened and well combined.
- Press the dough out evenly into your baking pan all the way to the edges. This will take a little bit of time, patience, and some work. That’s OK. The finished product will be worth the effort. Trust me.
- Bake in the middle of the middle rack at 325 for 12-14 minutes, turning about halfway through. You want the shortbread to be just golden.
- Remove from the oven and let stand to cool completely.
- Make a double batch of the Ballistic Caramel Sauce and once it’s done let it cool for five minutes.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the cooled shortbread crust.
- Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts evenly over the caramel sauce and press the nuts down slightly into the sauce.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator to allow the caramel to set, about 30 minutes.
- Make the chocolate topping by putting the baking chips into a microwave safe bowl and adding the butter.
- Microwave in 30 second increments on half (50%) power, stirring well in between each increment, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top of the set caramel.
- Return to the fridge for another 1-2 hours, until the chocolate layer is completely set.
- Remove from the refrigerator and slide the whole thing, parchment and all, out of the pan and onto the counter or a cutting board.
- Carefully cut into 40 bars. Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Per 1 bar: 117 cal, 2.2 g protein, 11.5 g fat, 9.3 g carbs, 2.5 g fiber, 5.2 g sugar alcohol, 1.6 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1 bar
Keywords: millonaire's shortbread, ballistic keto, caramel sauce, chocolate, cookies, holiday cookies