These Mushroom Pizza Bites came about after I had so much fun with the Mushroom Tuna Melt. Every time I saw a mushroom after that I wanted to stuff it with something. I thought it would be fun to make individual pizzas out of Portobellos, because no almond crust, cauliflower crust, or any other type of crust to tangle with. Then I thought how much more fun it would be if they were bite-sized pieces of pizza.
You can catch up on the Mushroom Pizza Bites story here. You could even read it while your bites are in the oven.
When choosing sausages, look for ones that have no added sugar, no starchy fillers, and no artificial ingredients. Because we don’t need no nonsense in our sausages.
Have yourself some mushroom fun today!
Mushroom Pizza Bites
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Total time: 20 mins | Serves: 1 – 4
What You Need
- Coconut oil spray
- 8 large white mushrooms, stalks removed
- 8 TBSP tomato basil pasta sauce (unsweetened)
- ¼ tsp guar gum
- 1 oz / 28g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 oz / 28g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 sausages of your choice, pre-cooked and sliced thinly
What You Do
- Spray an ovenproof serving dish with coconut oil.
- Place the mushroom upside down on the dish in a circle, with one in the center.
- Place the dish under the broiler (grill) for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, shake the guar gum slowly into the tomato sauce while whisking well.
- Mix the two grated cheeses together in a separate bowl.
- Carefully remove the dish of mushrooms from under the heat.
- Spoon a tablespoon of tomato sauce into each mushroom.
- Sprinkle the cheese mix evenly over the mushrooms.
- Place 2 – 3 slices (depending on size) of sausage on top of each mushroom.
- Place the mushrooms back under the heat for a further 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sausages lightly browned.
- Be very careful, the serving dish will be very hot!
Top Recipe Tips
- If you’re tomato sauce is very thick you can omit the guar gum.
- You can use any cheeses you prefer or have on hand. I used a mix of mozzarella for meltiness, and strong cheddar for flavor.
- You can buy uncooked sausages and pre-cook them yourself. Buying pre-cooked simply makes this a super-fast dish to put together. On a weeknight I’m all about super-fast.
- Add more cheese if you are looking to increase your fats.
- Don’t forget to use your oven mitts when putting the dish in and out of the oven.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- You can catch up on the Mushroom Pizza Bites story here.
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More snack recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Ketovangelist Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Ketovangelist Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks!