The "Big Game" will be upon us sooner than you know it, and a staple at any viewing party is Queso Dip. You know, that dip with the processed "cheese" block melted together with a can of tomatoes and green chilies, sometimes with ground meats mixed in. That's some good stuff, but yeah, not keto. Well, that's OK, because you can get the same flavor (and a full belly!). Just serve this hearty chowder instead.
5.4 NET carbs per serving
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 2 oz onion, diced
- 2 oz celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel (tomatoes and green chilies), undrained
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 c (32 fl oz) chicken broth
- 1 c (8 fl oz) heavy cream
- 1 tsp konjac/glucomannan powder
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a soup pot, brown sausage over medium-high heat. Once it is about half browned and has begun giving up some of its juices, add the celery and onion to the pot and cook with the sausage as it finishes browning.
- Once sausage is brown, stir in garlic until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add Rotel, seasonings, and chicken broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat and simmer ten minutes.
- In the last few minutes of the simmer, sprinkle konjac/glucomannan powder over the heavy cream while whisking vigorously. Once it is all incorporated, pour the heavy cream mixture into the pot and mix well.
- Continue simmering until the soup is warmed through and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes more.
- Add cheese to the pot to melt and cook until as thick as desired.
- Serve hot.
Feel free to swap out part or all of the cheese for pepper jack for an extra spicy kick.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 520
- Fat: 44.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 21.6 g