Cauliflower is pretty much the best stand-in for potato when it comes to mashed varieties, and this recipe is no different. As long as you have a good blender or food prcoessor, making caulimash is a breeze, so it's really mostly a matter of how you want to dress it all up.
My daughter is a huge fan of mashed (or riced) cauliflower, so we eat it fairly regularly, and this time around I decided to punch up the flavor and make it a bit special by adding in some roasted garlic in addition to all the usual caulimash fixings. Not only was it a winner with the whole family, I think my daughter single-handedly ate all the leftovers.
Definitely a keeper!Print
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 24 oz (680 g) caulirice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 oz (142 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (4 oz/ 113 g) butter, softened
- 6 tbsp. (3 fl oz/ 89ml) heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the outermost, papery layer from the head of garlic, then with a sharp knife, cut off the first 1/4 in on the top of the head, keeping the head intact.
- Drizzle the avocado oil onto the exposed garlic and rub it in with your finger tips.
- Wrap the garlic completely in foil and lay, cut side up, on a baking sheet
- Bake at 400 until the cloves are render and light brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Cook caulirice completely, according to package directions. You want it very soft. You may need to do this in batches if you are using frozen, microwavable caulirice.
- Place very hot cooked caulirice in a blender or food processor and add the seasonings, butter, cream, and cream cheese.
- Unwrap the roasted garlic head and squeeze each clove out into the blender.
- Put the lid on and run the blender on high until all ingredients are incorporated and caulimash is very smooth. You may need to turn the blender off and scrape down the sides once or twice during this process to get it completely smooth. That’s OK.
- Serve hot, and garnish as desired.
Shown garnished with 1/4 c chopped scallion (not included in macros).
Per 1/8 recipe: 260 cal, 3.8 g protein, 25.2 g fat, 6.9 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 4.8 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
Keywords: sides, vegetables, cauliflower, caulimash, cheese, roasted garlic