This Sausage and Mushroom Bake is like quiche without the crust, but it’s firm enough to slice into whatever shape takes your fancy. It’s hearty, filling, and impossibly tasty. It’s also handy to understand that you can eat it at any hour of the day or night and not feel like you’re eating it at the wrong time. Read more about how this dish of awesomeness came to be.
If you’re making it for eating in the morning, get your Sausage Mushroom Bake ready the night before, and cover and keep in the ‘fridge overnight. Just sling it in the oven after you stumble out of bed, and then go and have your shower. A fabulous feast will be waiting for you when you get out. Way to start the weekend!
If you want a fast meal on the table when you get home from work, make this Sausage and Mushroom Bake the night before, and cover and keep in the ‘fridge until you walk in the door. Then pop it in the oven and you’ll have just enough time to throw together a green salad to go with it. Dinner, served! This Sausage and Mushroom Bake is also fantastic cold, so you can also make and cook it the night before and serve the next day.
PS. When buying ground sausage (sausage meat) – especially in the US – read the label. Those pesky food people have a habit of sneaking all sorts of icky crap into it that we don’t need, and don’t want. By all means buy seasoned sausage, just make sure those seasonings don’t include artificial garbage and sugars of any kind.
Sausage and Mushroom Bake
Author: Carrie Brown | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 35 mins | Total time: 50 mins | Serves: 4 – 6
What You Need
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or avocado oil
- 10 oz / 280g onion, chopped
- 1 lb / 450 g ground sausage (sausage meat)
- 1 lb / 450g mushrooms, cut into chunks
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup / 2 fl oz heavy (double) cream
- 2 TBSP fresh sage, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 oz / 30 g cheese, grated
What You Do
- Heat the oil in a large skillet (frying pan) over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook until transparent, stirring often.
- Add the sausage and break up in the pan, stirring well with the onions.
- Cook the sausage meat until it is lightly browned.
- Add the mushroom chunks and cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Remove from the heat and turn into a casserole or baking dish that has been sprayed with coconut oil or avocado oil.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together well with the cream, chopped sage, sea salt and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage meat and veggies in the dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the center of the oven at 375 F for about 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean.
Top Recipe Tips
- Save time (and tears!) by buying onions pre-chopped.
- For dairy-free use thick coconut milk instead of cream, and omit the cheese.
- Check out the Ingredients Guide for information on ingredients.
- Read the story behind this recipe
- Where Are The Macros and Nutritional Info?
Helpful Cooking and Recipe Links
- More egg recipes
- More pork recipes
- Come laugh and learn with us over at The Ketovangelist Kitchen Podcast
- Come hang out in The Ketovangelist Kitchen Facebook Group
- For lots more great recipes check out our scrumptious cookbooks! Available in both print and digital versions.