This recipe comes at the request of long-time Kitchen Facebook group member, Lee Ann. She asked me to put shake-n-bake style breading on my list of potential recipe creations, and since I was a fan in my pre-keto days, I happily complied.
Notes: When crushing your pork rinds for this recipe, you want them very, very fine. I recommend using a food processor and processing until they're in very fine crumbs.
The shake-on coating will work for 1-2 lb of your favorite meats. Because of the coconut flour and parmesan cheese in the mixture, I recommend keeping your meat in smaller, nugget-sized chunks, or pounding it very thin for larger cuts. Basically, if you coat anything that's going to take a long time to cook, you run more of a risk of burning things, and no one's happy with a charred coating.
I air-fried my nuggets, and the instructions listed below reflect that, but if you wanted to bake yours in the oven instead, feel free to do so.
1.4 g NET carbs per serving
For the seasoning mix:
- 28 g (1 oz) coconut flour
- 28 g (1 oz) finely grated parmesan cheese (the stuff in the green tube can is fine)
- 56 g (2 oz) very finely crushed pork rinds (best done in a food processor)
- 1/2 tbsp Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp minced dehydrated onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp dried parsely
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried, rubbed sage
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz) avocado oil
- 2 lb (32 oz) boneless, skinless chicken meat, cut into nugget sizes
- In a gallon-sized zip top bag, combine all dry ingredients in the seasoning mix. Close the bag and shake it to mix well.
- Add the meat and oil to the bag and close the top. Don’t let all the air out. Having some air in the bag makes it easier to shake.
- Shake to coat.
- When the meat pieces are fairly evenly coated, remove the nuggets from the bag and arrange in a single layer in your air fryer, or as directed by your machine’s instructions. Discard any remaining seasoning mixture.
- Turn the air fryer on to 375 degrees F and cook for 10 minutes.
- Flip the nuggets and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until both sides are golden and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the air fryer and cool slightly before serving.
Macros assume all seasoning and oil is consumed. Also assumes white meat chicken is used.
For dark meat chicken, or boneless thigh meat, per serving: 311 cal, 26.8 g protein, 20.7 g fat, 2.8 g total carbohydrate, 1.4 g fiber, 1.4 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/4 lb chicken (raw weight)
- Calories: 264.4
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.8 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 31.1 g
Keywords: Shake-N-Bake, Air Fried, Chicken, Nuggets