No joke, this is the best burger I've ever had, and it was insanely easy to make. It's super crispy on the outside, while staying tender and moist inside. The secret? Bacon. Lots and lots of bacon. And when you top this bad boy with some slowly caramelized onions..... mouth heaven.
(Pictured garnished with a slice of chipotle cheddar cheese. It's at Aldi. You're welcome.)
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) ground beef
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) bacon
- 1 tsp smoked sea salt (I used Celtic Applewood Smoked Salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar free liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (1/2 fl oz/15 ml) avocado oil
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz/ 15 g) salted butter
- 1 small onion (approx. 4 1/4 oz/120 g), thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- In a skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium until it’s hot and shimmers.
- Add onions to the skillet and stir to sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the bottoms from catching.
- At the 30 minute mark, add the butter and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to keep the bottom from sticking and burning, another 30 minutes. The onions will be deep, golden brown.
- In the last few minutes, add salt and sherry vinegar, and cook long enough for the vinegar liquid to cook off. Set onions aside to make burgers.
- Put the bacon in a food processor and run until it’s well-ground.
- Combine the ground up bacon, beef, smoked salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and garlic powder together and mix well by hand.
- Shape into 8 evenly-sized patties and let stand while your cooking surface is heating.
- Grill, pan fry, or broil, as desired. The outside of the burger will get very crispy, and the inside should come to a safe temperature of 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Let rest five minutes before dividing the onions between the burgers to top.
- Serve warm, topped with the caramelized onions and any other burger fixings you like!
As shown with chipotle cheddar cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 onion-topped burger
- Calories: 473.4
- Fat: 35.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.8 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 34.3 g
Keywords: Caramelized onion, smoky, bacon burgers