This recipe calls for volume measurements in two places in the sauce. That’s because this is how this recipe works best!
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) avocado oil
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lime
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar-free liquid smoke
- zest of one lime
- zest of one orange
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) flank steak
- salt and pepper, to taste to season the steak before sous vide
- stable fat of choice, to sear
- 1/2 c fresh parsley
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro
- 1 oz (28 g) onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (1/2 fl oz/ 15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- juice from half a lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- heavy pinch crushed red pepper flakes
To make the marinade:
- Stir together the marinade ingredients.
- Place the steak in a large zip top bag then pour in the marinade.
- Close the bag and refrigerate 24-hours, turning about halfway through.
Make the chimichurri sauce:
- 1-2 hours before serving the steak, add all chimichurri ingredients to a food processor and run until smooth.
- Let stand, covered, to let the flavors mingle. Alternatively, you may make this ahead and refrigerate a few hours prior to serving.
To cook the steak:
- Prepare your sous vide water bath by pre-heating the water to 135 degrees F.
- Remove the flank steak from the marinade and gently pat dry. Discard the marinade.
- Season both sides of your flank steak with salt and pepper, as desired, then let it stand at room temperature 30 minutes while the water bath is heating.
- Vacuum seal the steak completely in a vacuum bag. Alternatively, use the displacement method in a zip top bag (see step 4 here).
- When the water is ready, cook the sealed steak by submerging completely in the water bath for 2 hours.
- At the end of 2 hours, remove the sealed steak from the water bath. Carefully open the bag and pat each side dry.
- Heat bacon drippings, lard, or avocado oil over high heat in a skillet until it’s almost smoking.
- Carefully sear each side of the flank steak in the hot fat, 10-20 seconds per side, then remove to rest on a plate for 10 minutes.
- Once the steak has rested, slice it across the grain, then serve each portion with a heavy drizzle of chimichurri sauce.
Per 1/2 recipe: 461 cal, 49.7 g protein, 26.1 g fat, 4.9 g carbs, 1.2 g fiber, 3.7 g NET carbs
Per 1/3 recipe: 307 cal, 33.2 g protein, 17.4 g fat, 3.2 g carbs, 0.7 g fiber, 2.5 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/3-1/2 recipe
Keywords: sous vide, flank steak, chimichurri, marinade