A ketofied update on this festive Puerto Rican classic.
- 1 1/2 c (12 fl oz/ 355 ml) heavy cream
- 1 (13.5 fl oz/ 399 ml) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (13.66 fl oz/ 404 ml) can unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 c (8 fl oz/ 237 ml) white rum
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (approx. 1 oz/ 28 g) Swerve or granulated erythritol
- 5-10 drops vanilla flavored liquid stevia, if desired
- Make it Ballistic by adding:
- 3 scoops Ballistic Keto Salted Caramel MCT oil powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. About 30 seconds to a minute.
- Taste it, and if its not sweet enough add a few drops liquid stevia, as desired, and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Pour into a half gallon container and store in the fridge. This will keep for some time, as the alcohol acts as a preservative. When ready to serve, give the jug a little shake to break up any coconut fat that may have risen to the top (this is normal).
Per 1/2 c (4 fl oz/ 30 ml) : 297 cal, 2.3 g protein, 30.9 g fat, 10.7 g carbs, 0.4 g fiber 6.3 g sugar alcohol, 4 g NET carbs
Ballistic powder adds 1/3 g carb per serving.
On Coconut Milk and Cream:
Most canned coconut liquid products contain a stabilizer/emulsifier called guar gum, which is a keto-friendly fiber powder. This basically helps the whole thing stay together longer, meaning it doesn’t separate as easily. This is the type I regularly use and is what I recommend for this recipe.
If you prefer a higher-end canned coconut milk or cream (like the ones from Trader Joe’s for example), it may not contain this ingredient. If that is the case, it would be a good idea to add 1/8 tsp guar gum to the blender when you mix. This will help the mixture stay together. Otherwise, it may separate a little, and you may need to shake it a lot more to reincorporate the ingredients before pouring.
A big, “Thank you!” to Jessica Karelas-Perez for trying the Coquito out with guar-less coconut products.
- Serving Size: 4 fl oz/ 30 ml
Keywords: Eggnog, coquito, holidays