This is a really easy, and filling, weeknight meal. Stuffed with two cheeses, green chilies, and savory spices, this Mexi-stuffed chicken bakes up pretty quickly. I used chicken breast, because that's what my children prefer, but feel free to use white or dark meat, to your preference. If pepper jack cheese is too spicy for your family, feel free to swap it for cheddar or a Mexican blend.Print
2.5 g NET carbs per serving
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 4 oz (1/2 a brick) cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 lb (32 oz) chicken breast
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of half a lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and prepare a baking dish or roasting pan.
- Mix seasonings together in a small container and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the filling by combining cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, green chilies, and 1 tsp of the seasoning mixture and mixing well. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken by dividing the breasts into 6 equal pieces. I sliced mine in half, length-wise. Lay each piece down flat and cut a pocket into the top of each for the filling. You want your stuffed meat to be able to stand upright in your baking container, with the stuffing in the top, almost like a stuffed baked potato would.
- Rub the outside of each chicken piece well with the remaining seasoning mixture. You may rub the inside pocket, as well, if desired.
- Fill each chicken pocket with the cheese filling mixture, and arrange with the filling face up in your baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and an instant thermometer inserted into the filling reaches a minimum of 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and let stand to rest 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice.
- Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 295.4
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.2 g (see Description for NET carbs)
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 38 g
Keywords: Chicken, poultry, cheese, stuffed