Minus fiber and 4.5 g sugar alcohols =
3.3 g NET carbs per serving
For the meatballs:
- 2 lb (32 oz/ 907 g) ground pork sausage
- 2 large eggs
- 1 oz (28 g) crushed pork rinds
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, tops only
For the sauce:
- 3/4 c (6 fl oz/ 177 ml) water
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) rice cooking wine (look for one that’s 1 carb or less per 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 1/4 c (2 fl ox/ 59 ml) coconut aminos
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) low sugar or sugar free ketchup
- 3 tbsp (approx. 1 1/2 oz/ 43 g) brown sugar substitute (I used Swerve Brown)
- 1 tbsp (1/2 fl oz/ 15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
Make the meatballs:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients well, by hand, until thoroughly combined.
- Form into 32 evenly-sized meatballs, then arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs at 400 for 20 minutes, or until an instant read termometer inserted into the center of a meatball reads 160 degrees F.
- Run them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to lightly brown the tops, if desired.
- Remove from the oven and let rest while making the sauce.
Make the sauce:
- Combine all sauce ingredients except glucomannan powder in a sauce pan set over medium-high heat.
- Gradually whisk in the glucomannan powder, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, or until it’s as thick as you like.
- Remove from the heat, then toss with the meatballs to coat.
- Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 sauced meatballs
- Calories: 442
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4 g (see Description for NET carbs)
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 24.4 g
Keywords: Sweet and Sour, tangy, meatballs, pork, sausage